INTERNAL AUDIT DEPARTMENT PROFILE.
Internal Audit department has got its mandate from the Local government Act 90(2) and, Public Finance management Act 2015(PFMA,2015) ,Section.48 , and its roles are enshrined in PFMA,2015 and the Local Government Financial and Accounting Regulations 2007(LGFAR,2007), Regulations,12 and 104- 107.
Enhancing Sound financial management and accountability at all levels of public spending within the Municipality.
To ensure that public funds are properly safeguarded and used economically, efficiently and effectively to achieve set council objectives in accordance with the statutory and other provisions that govern its use.
To continuously review operations of the council with a view of advising management on whether the systems and operations of the administration are efficient, effective, economical and free from fraud and other malpractices.
- To provide assurance to council on the quality of service delivery in Apac Municipality regarding service delivery.
- To develop and maintain good internal control systems in all departments, divisions, schools and health units in the municipality.
- Facilitates and evaluates Risk management processes in municipal council;
- To Carrying out Special Audit assignments as and when required by council and management;
- To enhance transparency and accountability through verification of all financial transactions, procurement and governance processes in the Municipality.
- To carry out value for money reviews of development projects at Municipal and Divisional levels.
The department staff structure currently provides for only two staff, these includes 1 Senior Internal Auditor and 1 Internal Auditor, which is substantively filled as seen in the table below;.
|NO.||NAME||DESIGNATION||TELEPHONE CONTACTS||E-MAIL ADDRESS|
|01||Oming Thomas||Senior Internal Auditor||+256-782917031, +firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com|
|02||Akidi Lilly||Internal Auditorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
In the last 4 Financial years, all departmental outputs were perfectly executed and queries raised by Auditor General were significally reduced and unqualified opinion attained in 3 consecutive years out of the 4 years of existence of Apac municipal council and still expecting yet another one. Meaning the department was able to assessed and managed risks, correctly advised accounting officer and management on internal controls , operational and governance issues. Therefore, added/adding value to the service.
Constraints to performance of Internal Audit Department;
Lack of viable transport means in the department:; There is completely no transport means, hence frustrating efforts of reaching out for field verifications/inspections.
Inadequate Office equipment:;There is only one laptop computer for office without the printer, thus difficulties during reporting, and also lack of Office digital camera for field verification in the department.
Inadequate funding – the department rely only on meagre local revenue and unconditional grant from the centre hence limits scope of coverage.
Development programs under Internal Audits goes here!